FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Status check and poll on recent crack down
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2006, 05:00 PM   #74
PaulSage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamco

So being a "liar" is provable. Of course, all evidence in the BOI is presented under sworn testimony and threat of perjury. No Paul, it is almost always a matter of opinion. Ask an attorney. Ask Bill Clinton. Look at 95% of the times it has been used in the BOI. It was absolutely a matter of opinion. It may have been the concensus, but it was not "proven". Rich has clearly stated that he wants to tone down the antagonism, flame wars, etc. He has specifically targeted derogatory words and terms. "Liar" is very derogatory if you are on the receiving end, don't you think? As I pointed out in the example for Rich (see the post a few back) go and look at that example. Is it fact or fiction? Is it derogatory? Please LMK what you think, and why. As for balance and degree of antagonism, there are more than a few of us here who can easily let being called a nimrod or knucklehead flow right off us, but thief or liar? All can be antagonistic, but while I respect that being called a nimrod may set you off, more than a few of us would be far more bent out of shape over the other terms.
Jim, I think I explained myself pretty well. After all:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulSage
Like I said, that's just the logic I apply to my word choice.
Make of it what you will.

As far as your comment stating that it's all a matter of opinion, I agree to a degree. However, claims such as "so and so is a liar" or "a scammer" or saying "so and so stole ..." is a CLAIM that CAN have legal repercussions since accusations of criminal behavior CAN be libelous if untrue. Derogatory name-calling that doesn't imply criminal behavior and are difficult or impossible to prove, is of little interest to the courts. And yes, I do relate BOI posts to court testimony. I spent all last semester studying the laws of mass communication, and some of the cases related to internet message boards were quite enlightening. What it breaks down to is that you ARE responsible for what you post online. Calling someone a "nimrod" might get me a $10 Fauna fine, but I don't have to worry about being sued over it.

But again,
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulSage
Like I said, that's just the logic I apply to my word choice.