FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Helix Tstats
Thread: Helix Tstats
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2006, 10:25 AM   #3
NeoScales
I've owned several Helix Thermostats (DBS1000), with mixed results. Right now I have one working and one sitting in a box from a electronic malfunction, both have needed fuse replacements (i.e. I found them no longer functioning) in situations that seemed random. I know many people love them; they were one of the first proportionals to by widely deployed for reptiles and have a good system for larger facility integration. But they are fallible – perhaps more than some would admit, less than others are suggesting.

So when it was time for me to choose new thermostats for 2 incubators, Helix wasn’t my choice because they didn’t do all that I wanted and from my experiences with them, I’d always wonder if it was working. So went looking for something to fill the following:
• Made from modern technology
• Easy to setup/use
• Has audible Hi/Lo temp alarms (an incubator must)
• Outage memory and report

I had examined a couple of choices, but I ended up with a Herpstat II by Spyder Robotics (from MG Reptiles). It an amazing piece of technology that has the ability to adjust the proportional power curve (another great feature for incubators) and control lighting. It’s been running both incubators for months now with no temperature fluctuations or problems of any kind – I’m very happy with my choice.

*During this same period - I’ve had 2 Big Apple thermostats – both working 24/7 for years now. They are fine, just a bit too basic for what’s available now for the cost.

Those are just my experiances - others will differ.