FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - the AMAZING (so called) 16X het
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2006, 02:47 PM   #96
Ssthisto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee Reptiles
Well sure the market only says otherwise for line bred traits, but you can take this to the extreme by saying that a line bred 'snow' is capable of producing A+, A, A-, B+, B, etc. In any of those cases you would say that the original animal contains one trait: snow.
True, it carries one trait, but 'morph' != 'trait'. A blazing blizzard animal is a single morph (not two), but it carries two recessive traits. And I'd call any single linebred snow a 'snow' - it might be a 'grade A' snow, but that doesn't make it a distinct morph.

Conversely, there are two different morph names that describe each of two other line bred traits - hypo/super hypo and high yellow/tangerine. Though there's a gradient between normal - hypo - more hypo - super hypo there is a point where an animal stops being called one and starts being called one of the others. I go with the "no spots between shoulders and tailbase = super hypo, two spot clusters with variable numbers of spots but no overall spotting = hypo and scattered spots all over = nice normal" myself. I know others who won't call it a superhypo unless it is what I would call a superhypo baldy. But there's a general consensus that being a hypo is a different thing to being a super hypo, and that an animal can be one or the other but not both at the same time. That's what makes them distinct morphs in my understanding.

Quote:
Listing those seperately is fine because those are all traits that are outwardly expressed and it's just categorizing the strength of two traits.
I would agree that he probably listed it as capable of producing 16 different morphs because the animal, but I think it's still misleading because it never really gives information as to the actual genetics of the animal.
I agree with you on that 100%. It's a nice enough giant gecko, but unless I knew WHAT the hidden recessive hets were, I wouldn't myself spend the money on it. Even my theoretical produces-15-morphs geckos would be listed as "Hypo High Yellow 100% het for Blizzard, Patternless and Albino - could potentially produce 15 different morphs!" ... and explain what the parents were to get that animal - and what morphs you might get if you bred two of this animal together.

But then, I wouldn't be likely to sell a 'het' animal as a het, particularly - unless it were being sold as a pair of animals with compatible het traits. I'd be more likely to keep hold of the hets (or sell as hypo high yellows or whatever their visual appearance was) and sell visuals, whereby people know part of what they're getting rather than having to trust that I did breed X to Y and this is the animal that hatched out.