FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Please help diagnose my Ball Python.
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2006, 12:38 PM   #16
coyote
I am just going to offer my musings in case they inspire anyone.

Reptiles (and birds), unlike mammals have a cleft pallate. So the sinus cavity and nostrils communicate directly with the mouth. Infections in one level can readily transport into the other.

You describe this as being one sided rather than bilateral. It is inflammed and swollen. The inflammation and swelling have worsened, but only in this one nostril.
Sure seems strongly indicative of an infection. But what type?

Respiratory fits the differential, as does stomatitis. It could even be both--one being secondary to the other.

Someone needs to get a good look inside the snakes mouth right under this nostril to see what is going on with the tissue in the area. A quick glance isn't going to do the job.

Stomatitis/oral infection can be caused by an injury or even a foreign body. Treatment would be pretty much the same--except a FB would have to be removed. Do you feed live?

You can make the appropriate husbandry adjustments and ride it out for a bit to see if it resolves on it's own. You will still need to get a good look inside in order to know how extensive this is. Or, you can take it to a competent reptile vet now, get an accurate diagnosis and get started right away on antibiotics if warranted and appropriate nursing care (ie cleansing).

Sorry, no magic bullet. Just your common garden variety advice.