FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Genetics Debate
Thread: Genetics Debate
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2006, 12:21 AM   #2
Clay Davenport
I haven't read the thread, don't really feel like joining something so I can see it.
What is his basis for saying it's the downfall of the herp community? Is it the inbreeding?

Regardless, you have little option in how you prove out a possible het. You can do as you said and breed his daughters back to him, a very common practice, or your could buy a 100% het or visual female. Each method has it's own benefits and drawbacks, but there's nothing wrong with doing what you planned.

I have some eggs incubating now from a het x het albino breeding. The resulting normal offspring will be 66% het. With albinos the 66%ers are basically not worth anything monetarily speaking. I will most likely keep any normal females and breed them to an albino later to see if they're het. I'd rather do that that sell them for $50 more than a complete normal, or whatever they would bring.
My point is, originally I had planned on raising them and breeding them back to their het father, or preferrably an albino brother. I do now have an unrelated albino male that will serve the purpose, but if I didn't have him then inbreeding them would be the only way I'd know if those females were hets or not.

Some people have determined themselves to be lords and masters of our hobby. My advice is to ignore them. Do what you have to within your own projects, and represent the resulting offspring for what they are. Virtually everybody that has worked with recessive mutations, regardless of species, has done breeding similar to what you are describing, it's just a fact of working with morphs.