FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - How do you feel about microchipping?
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2006, 12:19 AM   #3
Bar None Reptiles
Yes! Yes! Yes!

All 3 of my dogs and all 3 of my cats are ALL microchipped. Having been working at a shelter for the last almost year I cannot stress how wonderful it is when we actually get a pet in that has a microchip! Even if you do not register it, it is registered to the location, be it a vet or a shelter, that installed the chip. They have a log of all chips issued by them and the information about the owner. If you choose not to get it registered directly to you, which I strongly suggest it only costs anywhere from $12 -$18 depending on the company providing the chip, then keep your information updated with the location that installed the chip. Contact your local shelter or humane society depending on the location they may be able to install the chip for alot cheaper than the vet would. the vet usually runs on average $50. One time I found an advertisement from our local shelter before I moved here and they were doing it for only $5!! Petco also does microchipping for around $20. It IS affordable!! Do a little looking around. For such a small amount of money you can have the peace of mind. All shelters are provided for free with scanners to check the animals, so there is no excuse as to why they should not have one. The needle used to install the chip is slightly larger than a regular shot and not one of my animals even flinched when they got them.