FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Breeding Project
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2007, 05:22 AM   #9
Aaron Mattson
You're welcome. Here's some more ifo you may be interested in. There are already solid white Cals made by breeding amel to hypermelanistic. They are called Blizzards. The hypermelanistic gene is a naturally occuring mutation that has shown up in the wild in various populations of Cals. It has a suffusion of dark pigment in the light bands results in a dirty looking Cal bewith an obscured pattern. Hyper means increased and melanin means dark pigment.
The populations this hypermelanisim is known to occur in are the San Jouquine Valley, CA, Los Angeles county, CA and in Baja(central Baja, I think).
The most extreme hypermelanistics have a pattern almost totally obscured by dark pigment. It is not actually know if those populations are all compatible but it was one or more of those combined with the albino Cals that was used to make Blizzards.
Making essentially the same thing with a Cal/MBK cross would not be the best use of hybridization. Hybrids that end up just looking like copies of pure snakes are not a good idea, just my personal opinion. Of course you are free to persue that but in my opinion a real nice bright yellow amel Cal would be much prettier and they are more rare, hence, again in my opinion only, of more value.