FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - What size rats do you feed your adult female balls? POLL
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2007, 07:10 PM   #89
Jake The Snake
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPJ
If feeding live, I go smaller to minimize risk BUT since the most here take f/t, there is nothing wrong IMO of feeding them a meal that is appropriately sized which means a medium rat.

The smalls I feed are roughly 60-70 grams.
The mediums I feed are roughly 130-150 grams.

Now that means my smallest snake which is 700 grams gets one small rat weekly and my largest which is 4000 grams gets one medium rat weekly.

Since there is a range in the sizes I take the smaller or the larger of that particular size and match it up to whatever snake will be eating it.

There is no one size that everyone should feed. Feeding extra tiny meals is maintenance feeding IMO and I would rather not do that.
Iknow you said IMO but I am going to disagree respectfully. Many keepers and breeders feed smaller meals for a variety of reasons some range from better clutches to longer lived snakes to healthier snakes. I don't think that any way to do it is wrong or right, I'll say what we have all been trying to say, do what works for you and your animals