FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - To Jump or Not To Jump
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2003, 04:16 PM   #93
bpc
?!

Quote:
Terms like: "Pastel" "Screamer" "High Yellow" "Blazin" "Clown" "Jungle" "Super-Anything" "Chocolate" "Moustached" "Spider" "Ladderback" "Circleback" "Reduced pattern" "Fading" "Blood Red" "Sunset Red" "Crisp" "piebald" and on and on and on in a never ending list... They are used, specific to a reptile species, to describe not only the phenotype but the genotype of the animal. Using a term that denotes a genotype when the genotype is not present is fraudulent.
Seamus, did you read that list?!?!?!

Screamer - ok what genotype is screamer?

High Yellow - you've got to be kidding me?

Reduced pattern - define reduced since I've sure it's right there in the Brotherhood of the Ball handbook. Exactly how much does the pattern have to be reduced, give me a percentage.

Crisp -??????? Ghees, I thought we were talking about live snakes, not an Alabama BBQ?

Secondly, Piebald IS A GENETIC TERM. While you guys are out doing all this research perhaps you should pick up a basic genetics text. That is why it is applied to both the pheno and genotype.

I have no problem with terms such as "clown" or "jungle" being used. Those words are not adjectives, as such they bring no inherant meaning to the table. Pastel is an adjective and does bring to mind a certain hue/range of color.

Try this, take a person who knows nothing about ball pythons and show them one, let them look it over and become familiar with it. Next give them a piece a paper and ask them to describe what they think a pastel ball looks like. When they finish up with that one, ask then to describe a clown ball. Which definition do you think they will have the harder time with?

Quote:
Selling animals under a fradulent label when that label is accompanied by a price increase is ethically and morally incorrect. It's scamming potential buyers into believeing they are buying something they are not and it is misrepresenting the animal.
A. The snake is not for sale.
B. If I decide to sell the snake, I will not mark this snake as a "Pastel Jungle" the industry name for the morph or genotype and phenotype you are so desperate to defend.

Quote:
Basically, if the appearance is worth $200, then why does the misleading label of Pastel have to be applied?
Well damn Seamus, according to your list there, there's nothing I can call it. Pastel is taken, screamer is out, high yellow... no that's called already. Superpretty....er.. no that wont work. Damn, ok the name I'm using is "REALLY CRAPPY LOOKING BALL PYTHON THAT SEAMUS AND TOM THINK IS A STEAMING DOG TURD AND NOT WORTH MORE THAN 50 BUCKS", will that work, or do you think I need to be more specific. Hope not, because I'm not even sure I can get that on a deli cup.