FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Heterozygous traits, how much would you pay for 100% reassurance?
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2009, 09:49 AM   #103
ReptileJay
Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalusadamanteus View Post
Actually, I just saw a special on the science channel, where they have new techniques for this stuff, basically exploding the chromosomes into fragments with certain enzymes or whatever, and letting the new computing power we have these days, reassemble the pieces into the proper order, and it's is taking a fraction of the time that it once did. If we have come that far in this field, it stands to reason, that isolating a given trait is the very next step, and certain to not be nearly as expensive as it once was.

And actually, they are already isolating certain traits in some animals, removing them, and implanting these traits into other species. One of Japans best sellers are glowing fish, that have been genetically altered to be a bright neon glowing color. They can even make it be the color they want.

Personally, with all the technological advancements we've had the last decade, I see this sort of testing as a distinct possibility, and maybe even becoming quite affordable before long.

The new technique you're referring to is commonly referred to as the "Shotgun Approach" and was developed by J.Craig Venter while the HGP was underway. Unfortunately it took quite a while for this method of sequencing to catch on, since it went against what was "popular" at the time. Eventually, other scientists realized that there was no way they could compete with Venter's company without adapting his approach as their own as well. Sequencing is now pretty much limited by the speed at which computers can arrange the fragments.

I agree that it would be easy (albeit a lot of work) to develop a database in order to determine mutations in almost any animal.