FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Inbreeding taking a toll on albinos?
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2003, 02:10 PM   #34
cka
Just got around to reading this thread, and it has been very informative; thanks to all who added their 2 cents...and of course puts me in a slight quandary, in regards to one of Alvaro's posts:

"What's even more frightening though is the scenario Joe was describing. Breeder "A" has one anomaly in the clutch. Was just that snake or are several other sibblings carriers of that genetic deffect? Even if he culled that animal he can never be 100% sure he got rid of the flaw and you as a buyer will never be assured you are safe. But of course, you might never know..."

I bred my amel het anery corns this year and had an "anomoly" pop up that didn't survive...Now these aren't $1000+ critters but I still feel a responsibility to inform those interested, especially being how corns are a great "introductory animal" fpr young herpers looking for their first snakes...Have a young person in Lancaster PA buying a trio in 2 weeks; gotta IM him now to this link and explain to him about what I think this anomaly is, altho I have told him about the clear snow and shown him a pic or 2...Sigh...Thanks Daniel, making me get all "responsible" and what not lol...Really great info on Albinism and the effects of inbreeding/outcrossing...Keep up the good work, folks, and peace
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cleareyed1.jpg (12.6 KB, 242 views)