FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Jungle/diamond reaction to Baytril? :(
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2009, 03:17 PM   #1
Will0W783
Warning! Jungle/diamond reaction to Baytril? :(

Hi everyone

I have a jungle/diamond cross yearling female who was having trouble getting the last few pieces of shed off her neck when my fiance bought her. We soaked her and helped her get the shed off and she seemed fine. She went into shed again about three weeks later and wouldn't eat for three weeks. She was having trouble shedding again and I noticed she wheezed and had mucus discharge from her nostrils. I upped humidity and heat as my friend suggested I do, but there was no improvement in 4 days so I took her to my herp vet. She had not eaten in three weeks, but was in shed so I figured that was the reason, combined with respiratory infection. He diagnosed her with respiratory infection/pneumonia and put her on Baytril injected every other day. He gave her the first shot there in the office Thursday, but the next day (Friday)she was twitching and had her body all corkscrewed up and was holding her head sideways and lolling about. I got concerned and called the vet back who told me to relax and give her the second dose and watch her. The next day (Saturday) I gave her the second dose as directed, in the evening. The next morning, yesterday, she was dead. I don't think this was IBD because of its fast onset and quick fatality. I feel that it was a reaction to Baytril, as does my friend, another breeder who I trust. I just wanted to put this out there as a warning for anyone else to be careful with Baytril!! If anyone has had similar experiences or has any idea what could have happened other than drug reaction, let me know. I'm very upset about the loss of my little Intrigue, as she was a total sweetheart and very beautiful. Here is a picture of what she was doing when I came home Friday evening: