FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Someone is screwing with my PC! If your search engine stops working, check this out
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2003, 09:38 PM   #1
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
Someone is screwing with my PC! If your search engine stops working, check this out

Today I discovered I could not use any search engines on my PC. VERY annoying. Eventually I stumbled across this message, and followed the instructions. (I followed the instructions after debating it with my sister........doesn't seem to have hurt my PC)

http://64.191.95.139/

So, when I got into the files, I discovered DOZENS of search engines listed there. They ALL had this IP address in front of the search engine (I think this is who put this on my PC?)

I deleted EVERYTHING proceeded by that IP address. Rebooted my PC, and now I can go to those search engines. When I typed that IP address into google it took me to the message that originally told me how to fix it??????????????????????

So~ Did the same people trick me somehow into downloading this on my PC so they could then tell me how to fix it and convince me to purchase their "Adware" product?

I'm mad as hell about it. I sure hope it didn't screw with anything else on my PC.

I had let my Firewall lapse on this PC, (long story about switching PC's every couple weeks when one or the other breaks) but I am going to lpurchase Zone Alarm for this PC RIGHT now.