FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Airborne Express mess
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2003, 10:32 AM   #37
Clay Davenport
I've used Airborne for 3 years now and have yet to have any problems myself, billing or otherwise. All this recent discussion I've been reading about the constant headaches they are giving people though is making me seriously consider switching companies. I'm starting to think I'm just playing with fire and it's only a matter of time before it's my turn to have to fight them.
Concerning the fee charged to you for pickup, there is a standard $3 pick up fee assesed to all packages, and this is what I am always charged. I understand you are rural, but I am as well. I live no less than three hours from the nearest hub, and we are quite rural. I've never been charged anything but the standard $3 though, and they sometimes forget to add that on.

As for your customers being charged for 5lbs on a 1 lb shipment, that too is standard with Airborne unfortunately. They apply dimensional weight to all packages regardless of size. This is calculated by this formula LxWxH/194. So a 12x18x8 box is charged for 5lbs unless it actually weighs more. There's nothing we can do about that one.
UPS, and I think FedEx as well only apply dimensional weight to packages exceeding 1 cubic foot external dimensions, so as long as the box is smaller than 12x12x12 on the outside, you only pay for what it weighs.
Your situation sounds like a real nightmare and I do hope you win out.