FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - worlds first spider carpalls
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2010, 06:54 PM   #38
asplundii
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReptileJay View Post
If the albino phenotype is caused by a defective tyr gene as opposed to a gene within the pathway, then I suppose you would be correct. But is it documented that it is in fact the tyr gene itself that is responsible for the albino phenotype in both carpets and balls, or simply a gene involved in the tyr pathway?
I do not believe that any of the reptile albinos have been absolutely documented as being T-, it is just assumed that they are as T- is one of the most "common" mutations that spontaneously occur.

A quick PCR test would work to give you the answer, would not cost more than a few dollars to make up the primers and find someone with a thermocycler to run it...

Quote:
I suppose I cannot argue that it is absolutely impossible that the hybridization of an albino x albino of two different species CAN occur, I just think the likelihood of it easily occurring in a single generation is slim, taking into account the number of genes/regulatory elements that could easily result in a mutant phenotype when disrupted.
I understand and I did caveat my initial post to that effect (i.e. depending on what we are talking about what are the odds of two different organisms being related.) But I believe that with T- it could quite easily be done if someone had the gumption.