FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Hurricane season - 2021
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2021, 08:00 PM   #21
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
I'm hoping too that it will be a small weak storm and not affect the roof. Now that you have it, have you ever considered selling and moving to a more hospitable area with no hurricanes?
No, not really. I suppose everywhere and anywhere has some drawback or another. If there was a perfect place, then probably everyone that could afford the likely VERY high price would already be living there.

A motorhome would likely be the best solution. Simply go where we want, when we want, and avoid the times and places where things aren't just peachy for us. We have noted that people have taken to buying land here and there, and simply park their motor home on their lot whenever they want to be in that particular neighborhood. Have a half dozen or so places all across the USA and boondock at them whenever you wanted to.

But the problem is that I have become rather fond of my toys I have accumulated over my lifetime, and giving them up would be very difficult to do. What about my guns and ammunition? My tools? My home theater system with LOTS of speakers? My computer equipment? Hell, what would I DO with myself without all the toys to play with?

Now if they all got destroyed in some disaster, that would be a different situation entirely as I wouldn't be volunteering to change my life so drastically. Not that I would he happy about it, but it would definitely be a sign that Connie and I need to move on somewhere else. And about Connie, I believe she would follow me into Hell itself.

Heck, there are sink holes all around in this area. If one does open up underneath the house, I sure do hope we aren't in it at the time. Our well is about 300 ft. or so from the house. It was pre-existing when we bought the property. When we had the pump and tank installed the guy ran a plumb line down the 4 inch pipe. He hit water at 20 ft. Just for giggles, he wanted to see how deep the water was. He only had a 100 ft. line and at the end of the line, he still hadn't hit bottom. So we are probably living overtop of some vast underground lake.

Every now and again we will be watering some plants and when I go back to check on it, I see a small hole had opened up and all the water from the hose is just draining down it. It never backs up, so I assume it is going WAY down into the ground. I've seen this at least three or four times at various spots close by. Vast underground limestone cavern underneath our feet?

Heck, I'll be 71 in about 2 weeks, and sure don't plan on living forever. So if I gotta go, at least do so via something that makes front page news.

Anyway, I am keeping an eye on this storm. If I remember correctly, Michael was forecast to weekend substantially before making landfall around Mexico Beach. We all saw what happened then. My spider sense was tingling like hell about that storm and that is the first and only time, so far, that we have bailed out to head to safer ground. So far, not a peep out of my spider sense over this one.