FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Connie (Mrs. WebSlave)
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2022, 05:51 PM   #17
WebSlave
I had to run to the post office this morning to pick up some packages there. Apparently ALL of the Amazon Prime orders I placed got broken up into a bunch of separate shipments, and NONE of them were going to be delivered to the house. Mostly stuff for Connie. Things like some more hospital gowns (she finds them real comfortable), thick socks to wear around the house, etc. Also a couple of items I needed too. I had to make three trips to get all the packages into the Jeep.

Also picked up two more prescriptions for her anti-nausea med arsenal. While I was out, Connie texted me (yeah I am using that cell phone more and more lately) and asked me to pick up something for her at Walgreens. She has been getting a sore throat and the roof of her mouth is turning white from the chemo. The stuff she wanted (Biotene?) is supposed to help.

All in all she has been feeling pretty good still today. She was thinking she was going to cook us up some dinner, so she could be active and move around some. While she was at it, she decided to take one of the anti-nausea pills that I just picked up that says she should take 1 tablet on days 2-6 after chemotherapy to prevent nausea. Stuff is called Olanzapine. So OK, she took one. I was in the den at the time and she comes it claiming to be feeling extremely tired and woozy. I could tell she was having trouble standing up, so I helped her into the family room and put her into the recliner and had her lay back. She couldn't keep her eyes open. So I looked up that drug online to see what it is used for and what side effects are possible.

Quote:
Olanzapine is used to treat schizophrenia. It may also be used alone or with other medicines (eg, lithium or valproate) to treat mania or mixed episodes that is part of bipolar disorder (manic-depressive illness).
What the hell?

I looked harder and found:

Quote:
In people with advanced cancer, olanzapine, a drug used to treat psychiatric disorders, can reduce nausea and vomiting caused by the cancer. Scientists think they may have found a promising treatment for people with advanced cancer who have nausea and vomiting not caused by chemotherapy.
And there is an article that seems to support it's use in this context.

https://www.cancer.gov/news-events/c...therapy-nausea

Meanwhile, I contacted the nurse on the oncology team and she says that yes, that drug is appropriate for Connie. It knocked Connie out like a light, so I'm not real sure about that. I don't know how long she is going to be out. She hasn't moved a muscle since I put her in the recliner, and I am checking on her constantly to make sure she is still breathing.

So I read over the possible side effects of this drug and the several others she has for the nausea. Jesus H..... Only thing missing is "May spontaneously burst into flames." After all the years Connie has been meticulous about the foods she eats, and the vitamins she takes, now this. Heck, I had to nearly break her arm to get her to take an Aleve for muscle pains.

I wouldn't be the least surprised if she takes that bottle of olanzapine and tosses it in the trash after she comes out of this semi-coma she is in.

Perhaps I died a little while back and this is really what Hell is like. Modernized without the obvious demons with pitchforks.