FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Giant Day Gecko Heat and Plant Questions
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2020, 07:53 PM   #1
sstephenson
Giant Day Gecko Heat and Plant Questions

I'm putting together a heavily planted vivarium for my first pair of Giant Day Geckos. It'll be an Eco Terra 36" x 18" x 36" with a Zilla Pro Sol w/ Timer light fixture containing 3 LED plant growth lamps, a UVB compact fluorescent light, a 50 watt halogen daylight lamp and a 25 watt halogen red lamp. I have two questions:

1) Do I need bottom heat on my vivarium? I plan to maintain a 95 deg basking spot, but I was wondering if a thermostatically controlled heat mat beneath the vivarium maintained at around 75 deg would be a good idea. My house can drop down to the low 60s at night during the winter. I know that Day Geckos spend little or no time on the substrate, but I thought this would be a good way to maintain a 75 deg to 95 deg gradient.

2) If I give my plants purchased from local nurseries and home improvement stores a good flushing, is that sufficient to remove any pesticides and fertilizers? I've seen some recommend completely washing the soil from the roots and replacing it with new soil, but this seems extreme to me.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk