FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Question about filial generations...
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2005, 11:31 PM   #11
Clay Davenport
The use of filial generations as you described is correct within a closed breeding group. It is used just as you described.
However, we also use the same notation to clarify generations removed from the wild across the entire hobby.
You may have a group of gray bands for instance that you have been selectively breeding for several generations for a given trait. You may be up to F5 within your group. If I were to purchase one of these animals to add to my group the F5 is meaningless to me since I will revert back to F1 with the first breeding in my group.
On the other hand if I'm looking for some fresh blood to add to my group of alterna and I want some CB offspring from WC parents then that is when the other use of the terms comes in. This is the usage of the term as seen in the classifieds when F1 alterna are offered for sale. In this case the F1 is important information in that it describes a state that cannot be changed. The snake is one generation removed from the wild and nothing can alter that.
If however I buy the F5 from your group and another from a different group and breed these to produce F1s then it creates confusion if I advertise them as F1s. They are F1s within my collection, but that has no meaning at all once they become a part of another breeding group, whereas how fresh the bloodline is holds its importance.

Whether scientifically speaking this is correct I do not know. Regardless of that fact, filial generations are used in this fashion and will continue to be so.
Just as the term co-dominate is used often in reference to various ball python morphs even though the term is incorrect scientifically. It's simply too late to change the usage at this point.
Since the vast majority of people involved in the hobby only encounter the filial numbers in the classifieds and in that case it is referring to generations removed from the wild, that it the method I used to answer the question so as to avoid confusion.