FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - R.I.P Chuck Kimmel (critical bill) :(
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2010, 08:50 PM   #17
rosebud945
Chuck and I never exchanged many words, but I read him and I know he must have read me. I never personally felt his bad side, and I consider that a complement.

I hope yall don't mind, but I would like to post my favorite Chuck Kimmel post, again, because it was so obviously heart felt and it really touched me.

from Beware: Chuck Kimmel, Critterkeeper & Critical Bill January 9, 2010
Quote:
Since moving down here to Florida I haven't kept any critters, everything I had back in PA was given to a family that showed great interest in my turtles and frogs and such. Once I got down here I was so glad that I made that decision because there was so much unpacking to do. I'm still not completely unpacked.

Quite honestly I'm not over the shock and awe of having so many critters just naturally around me all the time. Seems sort of pointless to start a new collection up again when all I have to do is walk out my front door at any time of the day or night to appreciate naturally what would take an absorbent amount of my time caring for in captivity.

I'll probably never keep any critters again, maybe perhaps if the kids catch the herp bug and ask me to set up a small enclosure or something. But they seem pretty content right now to watch the snakes and lizards and frogs and turtles do their thing right around our house.

More importantly, being around such a diverse amount of wildlife in their natural settings has me a bit conflicted in what I've been hearing people say is their natural RIGHT to keep whatever they want. I'm sort of with the feeling that its not actually a right but rather an extreme privilege and a heavy responsibility that a lot of folks are not aware of or ready for.

I'm having fun experiencing and enjoying herps from a different angle. I do know I place more value on an anole than a sellers asking price of a dollar or two. They are incredible creatures to watch running around my lanai while I'm floating in the pool sipping a gin & tonic.
Rest in peace, Chuck, from a silent fan.