FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Need a bit of assistance
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2005, 03:32 PM   #2
kiote9
From my personal experience I would suggest to go with a boa.

I have several boas and several ball pythons. I have had trouble all winter with my balls feeding and one of them had a slight respiratory infection early in the winter and now has another. My boas have only rejected food during shed and have been fairly trouble free.

All of my snakes are once again eating correctly with the exception of the WC ball python "rescue" that is anorexic. WHATEVER you decide to do PLEASE buy captive bred. Do intense research and ask a lot of questions on forums if you can't find the answers you need.

As far as temperment I'd say my balls are shy and less active than my boas. My favorite boa, Bob, will sit with me for hours. I sometimes even nap with him. When I first get him out of his cage he is active for about 15 minutes then he calms down and sits in one spot. My balls generally slither under my laptop immediately or hide out in my shirt. I have only been bit during feedings when I was careless.....both by balls and boas.

If you want a very easy snake to care for go with colubrids. They eat like nobodies business and are very active and quite docile. I have a 49" Okeetee corn that never refuses a meal and is tame enough to take to the schools to visit classrooms. They have less of a heat and humidity requirement than the boids, too.