FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - My pacman & Giant Pixie babies
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2006, 11:32 PM   #19
mitch_rz
Well thanks for the six pointers, but I think I'll need more of an explanation on #2 because if I take out all of the white fatty parts from steak, and I feed my frog red meat I should end up having a very healthy meal. I know caloric intakes of different foods can vary but those numbers are averaged to a generalized case. An example would be lets say a piece of steak that contains 10% fat could overall represent a larger portion (a marbelized steak) that you would buy from a butcher. So, if by point #2 is based on some number then it is correct perse, but in my case if the white fatty parts are taken out then the fat content HAS to be lowered down significantly.

I'm not meaning to be harsh on this post, it's just that point #2 seems a little sketchy and I would like an explanation behind it before I take it as any sort of fact. Essentially what a frog (or any of us) is doing by intaking any meal is absorbing nutrients and so, if one category of the meal (in our case, fat) is eliminated we can assume that it is also eliminated from what the frog is absorbing. Right?

However, one thing I just found out is that any red meat has a higher phosphorus level than cooked meat. Also beef retains its phosphorus content through cooking (http://www.hoptechno.com/book29o.htm). Anyway, I'm interested in finding out what is better now... feeding mice or feeding steak? According to this website (http://www.feinberg.northwestern.edu...hosphorus.html) 3.5oz of cooked steak has 218 mg of phosphorus. As we know a frogs diet already consists of enough phosphorous, so what does this all mean?

It means I have to get a small weight scale and weigh out red meat proportions and verify what I have been doing for so long to see if it's actually correct. I believe that my current method of feeding is really good for a low budget/dont have too get touchy with mice objective. Although this wasn't the case when I first purchased my pixie, the method seems to be working and my frog seems pretty healthy to me.