FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Rhac Scenting?
Thread: Rhac Scenting?
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2010, 06:31 PM   #12
Helenthereef
Hi Zach,

Don't be put off by inexperience! I was in a similar position when I started with Candoia - I used to keep a variety of snakes including Corn/ Rat snakes, Ball Pythons and a Boa, but it was a LONG time ago. I started to keep Candoia because I got neonates in a happy accident, and even though I was very out of snake practice I found the previous reptile experience (mixed with a fairly healthy dose of common sense and some good advice from forums such as this one) was more than adequate - once you get them onto the right food they are really an easy snake to keep.

Further to food options, a friend of mine gives his (larger) C.b.bibroni whole (fresh but dead) fish, interspersed with chicken portions, and she's prospering. I'm thinking of trying it with my larger females. They were wild caught, found hanging out by a creek, and love to bathe, so I figure it's worth a try.

In the wild Candoia bibroni bibroni feed on geckos, frogs, birds (probably fish), rats and fruit bats, and which they prefer seems to be governed only by where they are and how large they are. I don't feed live food ever, as I prefer snakes who feed politely without striking, but mine feed in my hand, in a feeding box from tongs, and in a feeding box with food on the floor.

I think they are more flexible than people give them credit for - but sometimes (like any other snake) they go off food for no apparent reason, and the trick is not to panic and wait them out, (unless they start to lose weight of course).

Re frog species I don't know, I've never tried it. However if my gecko experiences are anything to go by, I don't think it really matters as long as the frog in question DOES NOT have toxic secretions through the skin (as many toads and tree frogs do, so check that out).

Keep us posted, and pictures are always nice once you have made a purchase (but start another thread for that as "Rach scenting" won't attract as many viewers as "New baby boa!")