FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Least favorite venomous snake?
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2021, 10:17 AM   #25
Leftwich08
Pop goes the gaboon viper.

While assisting with reading water meters I got called over and asked what kind of kingsnake was in the water meter we were at. We were almost done and I grabbed the hook and headed over fascinated but ready to be home. My first thought was beautiful but as the full snake came into view not just the coloring my brain nearly shut down. It was a gaboon viper, in texas, having hidden and stuffed himself into a meter box. I'm sure he wasn't fully grown but that was no comfort. Expecting slow if aggressive behaviour due to the weather I sent Teddy to get the box we keep rattlesnakes in when this happens with them and wound up nearly dying of a heart attack before enclosing him. That slow behavior was nowhere to be seen he flopped like a landed fish and bit everything in reach! Now I'm sure my newness to venomous at the time plus being as scared as a rat would have been at the sight of him didn't help, nor did constantly knowing the consequences of the bite and that kids lived in the area but that is still my worst experience with snakes or venomous period. I love and hate them and every time I consider working my way to those again I remember that feeling and can't even finish researching.