FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Why is my boa Soaking in water bowl?
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2021, 01:07 PM   #3
Socratic Monologue
Mites move. Mites sometimes come off and float in the water. I've only dealt with mites once, a long time ago and I nuked them quickly, so I'm no expert.

She may be seeking moisture -- I don't know what sort of moisture content (humidity, substrate moistness) a B.c. should have, but if there's not enough in the enclosure the snake would seek it out.

The enclosure may be too hot and that's the coolest place. Watching her patterns of thermoregulation behavior is the best way to figure out what temps she wants.

She may be trying to hide. If she perceives the water bowl to be the best hiding spot, she'll take it. Make sure that there are a range of other hides (moister/dryer, warmer/cooler, bigger/smaller) and she'll show you what she wants by choosing her favorite.

Another thing I don't know about B.c. is whether it is easy to tell if they're about to shed. I have a hard time telling whether rosy boas are opaque, but other species are really easy. Keeping a log of when she sheds can be helpful -- just look back at the dates and see whether she's due for a shed. This is helpful for telling whether worrying about a food refusal is warranted, too.