FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Ben Siegel Incident
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 03:52 PM   #48
ShadowAceD
Quote:
Originally Posted by squinn View Post
this whole contest was sick, disgusting and irrelevant. Irregardless of whether the death is linked to the bug consumption or not all contests like this do is paint us all as freaks and misfits. We need as an industry to be cleaning up our image not reinforcing rediculous stereotypes of who reptile keepers are. This contest is shameful regardless of the cause of death.
And the difference between this and someone consuming fifty hot dogs for a prize (or simply for the "glory" of it) would be what exactly? Nothing.

Just because parts of the Western World are digusted by the act of consuming roaches does not make it disgusting, sick or irrelevant (no, I have no interest in doing it, but I have eaten ants and other things before). Many people throughout the world consume insects for the sake of consuming them and for nourishment. Anyone who finds it to be a digusting, filthy act is ignorant and just as foolish as those who wish to condemn any of us for keeping herps.

Personally, I think craming McDonald's down your throat is far more disgusting than eating a roach and much more of a spectacle.

If these people had been doing this for charity, would you be damning it so quickly? If someone had died having done this for a "good cause" and not an ultimate goal for their own, would it be so atrocious? My bet is no.

It is tragic that Eddie died. It is tragic that Eddie died in such a terrible way and that it appears his friend was not aiding him when he needed it. However, Eddie entered that contest of his own free will. Eddie chose to each those roaches of his own free will. While, yes, EMT should have been on hand, it is looking like it would not have mattered. This is a tragedy as plain as they come.