FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - What if your item is overpriced?
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2007, 03:55 PM   #4
hhmoore
I'm tending to lean more with Clay on this one (though I do understand your point, Dan). Your statement There's a point in time where the seller has to realize that he/she is off-price. is not necessarily correct. The consumer has come to realize that in many cases, unless it is an unusually high demand item, all they have to do is wait. So many people are willing to undercut repeatedly in order to move their stock quickly, that if you have an interest in something all you have to do is wait for the deal you want. The number of people that are (over)producing animals for the sole purpose of making money, or just to see if they can, increases annually. In either case, the seller wants the animals gone. This has led to faster than normal market reductions for animals that should be fairly stable. I have said many times that I would wholesale what I produce before playing the drop til it sells game...of course, the goal should be not to produce more than one can expect to sell, but how many people consider that aspect? It seems to be more a matter of noticing that this snake is selling for $100, if I can produce 100 of them $$ka-CHING$$. Then comes the realization that nobody knows them, and 30 other people are selling them for the same price today, so they start lowering the prices until people jump. Once people start undercutting, there are enough people willing to follow that "normal market" is reduced.
Overpriced is in the eye of the beholders. What one consumer sees as overpriced, another sees as a deal.

(Look at it this way, Dan - I know of a seller that has had the same pair of snakes available, for the same price, for at least 3 years. He no longer advertises them constantly, but he throws the ad up semi-regularly and has them listed on his website. I only remember seeing a couple of others offered in that time. Is he overpriced? Or just willing to hold onto his animals until he gets the price he deemed fair?)