FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - What if your item is overpriced?
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2007, 12:05 AM   #7
Clay Davenport
Quote:
Originally Posted by The BoidSmith
Clay,

The keyword in my post is "overpriced". If you feel that's what your animal is worth that's great. My point is for example when someone offers an animal way over the market price and it stays in the market for 6-12 months. From a buyer's perspective this is having exactly the opposite effect you are willing to accomplish (stabilize the market). The potential buyer perceives that the animal in question is not worth what it's been asked for. In the meantime by not moving the item you are creating a stagnant market, whereas if you were priced right (at a normal market price) the market will continue to flow. Bear with me I'm not talking about "cheap" here, but priced right. What is priced right? A price that allows for market flowability.

Regards.
Maybe I'm not fully understanding your point. Overpriced by who's definition? What a buyer considers overpriced and what the seller considers overpriced might be very different.
A breeder keeping the animal for sale for 12 months with no price drop is not going to stagnate the market beyond that one animal. The market will flow regardless, that one animal just won't be flowing with it.

That brings me to my other thought on the matter. What difference does it make? Why should you or I care if another breeder is content to sit on one of his animals indefinitely?
Whether someone else makes a sale or loses one due to high pricing is of no consequence to anyone but him. He's the one that has to feed it from now on if it doesn't sell.
Regardless of what the market says a snake of mine is worth, I decide what it is worth to me personally, and the only way that someone will get that snake will be to offer me an amount greater than or equal to that figure. Sometimes I have a snake that I am willing to sell but am also completely content to keep as well. I might price that snake high, even over market value depending on what amount it would take for me to be just as happy selling it as I would be keeping it. I suspect that the same thing is in play other times you see an over priced animal, they are willing to sell it, but just as willing to keep it.

I can't help but get the feeling that there's some underlying reasons for this thread we are not aware of. Perhaps this just occurred to you for some reason and you wanted to discuss it, but your words somehow suggest to me that you have something specific in mind when you type while the rest of us are speaking in generalities.