FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Lacquer and for snake cages
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2017, 07:34 AM   #13
Scootter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
Scott,
If you decide to go with oil based urethans, it might be worth while to list your material expenses. Good lumber is not cheap. While a custom wood enclosure can be beautiful and last a lifetime, there are other considerations. Many people move several times in their lifetime and a fully built wood enclosure with a glass front weighs a lot.
You might compare costs with new or used plastic enclosures. I was very happy with my large Vision enclosures and I bought them second hand so they were a really good deal.
Of course the ultimate choice has a lot to do with your personal cage preferences.
Before sealing and glass I am at about 1/4 the cost of plastic cages with the designs I have so far. I have a line on inexpensive glass so I'm not overly worried about that cost. The melamine 6x2x2 I designed is right at $100 before glass heat and light. Comparable cages can be 5 or 6 times that. I'm not real worried about moving unless I hit the lottery. If that happens I'll pay some kids to lift heavy stuff lol. Another reason I'm building my own is because I want to start selling them locally. I'm already building some rat racks for a gal. Between custom wood and selling feeders hopefully I can offset some of my future snake purchases.