FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Wrong Sexed - Opinion Needed
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2003, 12:49 AM   #8
Clay Davenport
It's still their fault whether they guarantee it or not. they made a mistake, and should make every effort to rectify it. However, after 8 months, I wouldn't exactly label them as a bad guy if they did nothing about it, because the problem would have been identifiable from the start. I personally would make every effort to fix the situation, but I can also see from the seller's point of view if he decided he was just not responsible after this length of time.
The questions I raised were just concerning what could be reasonably expected as restitution considering the time frame involved.

Normally exchange or refund of the original price plus shipping fees is pretty much all that you can expect. If the problem had been discovered right off the bat, then this would have been completely adequate. It's the time you took for the problem to be realized that is adding to your expectations of what you deserve. That length of time is not the fault of the seller.
It doesn't change the fact he is responsible for selling you the wrong sex, but you simply cannot punish him for your taking so long to discover a problem that would have been identifiable immediately.
Had it been a het that grew up and turned out to be normal, it would be an entirely different situation. You have no way of knowing if a hatchling is het, but you can tell the sex of it.

If it were me, the next time I was at either of the places that does your sexing, I would just have them teach me how to do it myself.
I say this, but right now I have no less than 15 snakes in my collection that I have never sexed but am raising as breeders. If some turn out to be the wrong sex, it wouldn't be the first time, but I won't be going back to the person who sold them to me either, I'm the one that has a set of probes in the cabinet but has neglected to sex them.