FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Pop-up ads!
Thread: Pop-up ads!
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2021, 02:55 PM   #2
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeSmithS View Post
What is up with the recent proliferation of pop-up ads on this website? I never experienced this problem until a week or so ago. Perhaps it is just my browser and not an issue that everyone is experiencing... IDK. It is really annoying though. Is there anything that can be done about this issue?
Google Adsense somehow enabled what they refer to as "vignetting" style ads on this site, and I had them removed very recently. I'm not real crazy about them neither, and as best I could tell, they weren't providing any additional income for this site. So I got rid of them.

I am also trying out a new ad campaign company, to see if the income they provide is worth having their popup ads at the bottom of pages. So far they seem to be a reasonable return for allowing them to use this website. So they will probably remain. I may have them only visible to visitors and regular non-contributing members sometime in the future, but for now I need to get a baseline on what they are providing financially for this site.

These are BUSINESS decisions which I need to consider and implement as I see appropriate and worthwhile for the financial health of this business.

Sorry, but with paying members, sponsorships, and paid advertising dropping off lately, I have to find other means of generating revenue to keep this site running. Yes, I understand that they may get in the way of some people coming to this site to buy and sell their animals and merchandise. But does anyone think it fair that they can use this site to make money for themselves, and yet I should be prohibited from doing the same? How would that be fair? I seriously hope you all don't think I am independently wealthy. Heck, I retired my SerpenCo business and am on social security. That sure isn't raking in the bucks.

Posting ads in the classifieds sections here is for *free*. Sponsorships and other advertising avenues are, I feel, very modestly priced for those interested in helping to support this site. Apparently less people are willing to do that now than they used to. Paying membership costs (and all other offered income producing functions for this site) haven't increased a dime since I implemented them nearly two decades ago. Most member functions are for *free*. Does that mean I should also work for *free*, and pay for the expenses of keeping this site here out of my own pocket and out of my retirement funds instead of trying to earn some money myself from the fruits of my own labors? Do you think it has been a picnic running this site all these years?

Yes, advertising can be annoying. I can't say that I am all that fond of it myself. But if anyone has a better idea about how to earn revenue from this website in a more non-intrusive manner less labor intensive manner beyond what I have already tried, or am trying, I am all ears.