FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Carnivorous Plants
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2014, 01:17 PM   #81
WebSlave
I thought I posted pics of how I am growing these things. The seeds were covered with a plastic lid, so yes, 100% humidity. Once I put them in the mini-bog tubs, they are open to the air and the humidity is whatever it is outside. We've got a cold snap coming through with a forecast low of around 20 degrees Tuesday night, so not sure how they are all going to fare. I might have to throw something over top of them. Last Winter I didn't cover them at all and they all fared well, but the Winter was pretty mild even for north Florida. But not sure how the baby plants would fare with this sudden VERY cold night coming on. The plants just haven't had a chance to harden off naturally to the cold.

As for substrate, 50% sand and 50% peat moss seems to work well. Just make sure you get peat moss that doesn't have fertilizer additives included. A lot of people will recommend perlite instead of sand, but I just don't like that stuff. Oh yeah, ONLY use distilled or rain water. Water from your household tap will likely be death to these plants. The VFTs seem to like the substrate moist but not wet. I think that if you err, err on the side of being slightly dry than slightly wet.

Just remember that these are NOT tropical plants. They are naturally found in the coastal Carolinas right at the North Carolina and South Carolina border. So treat them as such and you should be fine.