FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - what happens to a pyro when you shake in a little kingcorn?
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2003, 07:58 AM   #27
meretseger
My rambling on the subject

Along with what Kelli was saying...
No one knows if there is such thing as a pure leucisitic black ratsnake or if they all are the results of a texas/black rat hybrid. Kenyan and Egyptian sand boas have been hybridized so much that the Egyptian pattern has been almost completely lost, and we can't import these snakes anymore.
And we also can't forget what happened to Indian pythons.
There are probably more examples.
Also, I personally enjoy my snakes because of all the adaptations they have to their specific natural environment. It's kind of like having a little piece of Egypt or Brazil or Ohio living in your house. I'll admit that I do a bit of morph breeding (ok, I'd LIKE to do a bit of morph breeding), but having a snake that's a product of three different species living across a continent from each other holds no appeal to me. I might as well just buy a dog. Oh wait, I have a dog. She sure is cute, but dumb as a box of rocks compared to a wolf, and wouldn't last 4 hours on her own. Guess those dominant genes really helped her out. She's kind of bug-eyed, too.
I'd just like to hope that there's more to this hobby than animals that look cool or unique, that people appreciate snakes for their snakeiness and not their colors or relative rarity in the hobby. They just should be pets more than status symbols.

Erin B.

P.S. Seamus' responses were a lot more restrained than I though they would be, especially given the amount of thinly veiled insults. I probably wouldn't have been as nice!

P.P.S. Yes, exactly what HAVE you learned? It's not like hybrids within the 'lampropeltid' (pantherophis, lamp, pit) group are rare or anything. People stopped being suprised that those snakes could interbreed years ago.

P.P.P.S. I thought I knew what a species was before I got into snakes. Oh well!