FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - They can sense their fate.
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2014, 01:49 PM   #13
AbsoluteApril
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcondie View Post
2. My wife is kind of creeped out by dead rats in her refrigerator. She knows that they aren’t carrying disease or anything but just the thought of it next to a frozen pizza is almost too much for her. I’m probably lucky I have my snakes at all. She is very good to me in that way…and other ways but that wouldn’t be appropriate for this blog!
haha I keep my f/t next to the frozen pizza. I do plan to eventually get a stand alone mini freezer. I keep the vacuum sealed and zip locked rats wrapped in white plastic trash bags so in case anyone is over and looks in there, they don't freak out.

Sometimes it's cheaper to buy bulk frozen, even with the additional shipping costs, instead of getting live.

If you have to continue to feed live, consider either pre-killing the rats yourself (since this can be done faster than a snake killing it and keep the others from having to listen to it) or keeping the box of other rats away from the 'kill zone' so they don't hear the death of the others? just a thought.

I hate to quote wiki but here we go:
"In the latter part of the 20th century, the layout and design of most U.S. slaughterhouses was influenced by the work of Dr. Temple Grandin. She suggested that reducing the stress of animals being led to slaughter may help slaughterhouse operators improve efficiency and profit. In particular she applied an understanding of animal psychology to design pens and corrals which funnel a herd of animals arriving at a slaughterhouse into a single file ready for slaughter. Her corrals employ long sweeping curves so that each animal is prevented from seeing what lies ahead and just concentrates on the hind quarters of the animal in front of it. This design – along with the design elements of solid sides, solid crowd gate, and reduced noise at the end point – work together to encourage animals forward in the chute and to not reverse direction."