FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Is kinking genetic?
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2022, 02:11 PM   #4
Flatfish1
Thanks Melinda and Nickolas for your thoughtful responses. Nickolas, your response was WAY thoughtful. I'm glad we has this forum to explore questions like this. About three years ago, I started back into the snake hobby. Again, I am NOT a breeder, but more of a collector and occasional knowledge seeker. I enjoy participating in thought provoking conversations.
So, one of the first snakes I bought years ago was a baby female Boa Constrictor Longicauda. I was not then, and am still not interested in breeding her. She had a small kink in the tip of her tail. She is a little over three years old now and has grown out of her kink (It was slight to begin with). Her tail IS stubbier than normal I believe, but no longer is crooked. She is beautiful and healthy in every way other than her slightly stubby tail. So... is this a snake that should NOT be bred in the future if I change my mind? As far as I can remember, none of the others from her clutch had kinks.
And by extension, If you have a beautiful, healthy pair of snakes that produce healthy babies, but a slight kink shows upon occasion, do you stop breeding that pair? Just wondering what people think.