FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Law breakers breaking laws to uphold laws
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2003, 10:34 PM   #3
Glenn Bartley
Quote:
We are losing our rights everyday. And this is supposed to be a free country?
A quote by Thomas Paine is applicable to your words:
Quote:
Society in every state is a blessing, but Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
We may have the NECESSARY evil, but certainly have nothing near the INTOLERABLE one.

All this talk of people abusing their power and wiping out your rights is, as I see it, pure manure. So the police have some more power after 9/11. Some laws are on the books that you apparently don't like and enforcement of them gets you upset, and apparently upset enough to accuse law enforcement officials of being above the law. First of all that too is for the great majority of LEOs a lot of horse hockey. Sure some cops are jerks, and act as if they can violate our rights simply because they have a badge and a gun, but most in law enforcement are there for a different reason - to protect the rights of guys like you, so you can bad mouth us. It makes me want to vomit. Why bad mouth law enforcement as a group; why not rather document the specific offenders and offenses and report them to the proper authorities. Then how about trying to support the efforts of law enforcement in their daily quest to fight crime, and defeat the criminal element in this country and abroad.

You have not lost rights every day as you claim, nor has anyone else in the USA. The rights are still there but possibly interpreted somewhat differently because of recent all too horrific events; and bear in mind that the government has rights too - especially regarding national security. Sorry if I cannot shed a tear for you - I would rather busy myself, trying to make America secure enough so that you and any other American doesn't wind up dead with a terrorist bomb fragment in your head. That may not be preventable, even the Israelis seem unable to prevent terrorism, but we are sure trying to prevent it. We have held em off for a good while now too. Why do we do that, why do we protect you? Sometimes when I see stuff like what you wrote I have to wonder myself. While you complain of all the rights you have lost, please bear in mind that most law enforcement officers in the USA are hard at work assuring that tonight you can sleep soundly in your bed and wake up refreshed tomorrow completely free to bad mouth your protectors again; to me it sounds like you have quite a bit of freedom.

Freedom is not free that is for certain. Running away to way out in the country accomplishes nothing with regards to freedom. If you really want freedom to ring in the USA, then I suggest you heed some other words of Thomas Paine:
Quote:
Those who expect to reap the blessing of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
-- Thomas Paine, 1737-1809

The key words here being: ..."the fatigue of supporting it"...!

Hell I volunteered to be a Federal Air Marshal after 9/11 and was so assigned for 6 months. I crapped my pants every time the plane started to roll down the runway. I also volunteered to work the Joint Terrorist Task Force and am doing so currently. Do you think that law enforcement officers volunteer for these things just to get a special badge? Mine is the same piece of gold plated tin I had before I volunteered. Or maybe you think we are out there looking for Little Bo Peep's lost sheep. Well it ain't so fella. I have only two years sixty three days until I can retire after 24 years of putting up with the likes of ungrateful people like you. Sometimes, with all the bad stuff going on lately, and with my recent assignments, I wonder if I will make it until then. Just that thought alone makes me seriously wonder if protecting the freedoms of guys like you is worth it after all! And while I may wonder about it, I know what I'll be doing the next time I show up for work, and it won't be oppressing the freedom of Americans (not even yours), that is for sure!