FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Ben Siegel Incident
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012, 02:50 AM   #66
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinntech View Post
instead of everyone promoting a party, why dont you go promote something that is educating the public about the responsible side of this hobby.
Dustin, just look at our society as a whole. Nothing against Ben or referencing this incident but when is responsibility promoted anywhere anymore?

You can have a educational night or you can have a bug eating contest. I'm wondering what's going to draw more attention? Bug eating seems to have caught peoples attention with fear factor and survival type shows as of late. It's something different and intriguing to the majority of Americans. Oh, and I can't forget gross to a lot of people as well. Which also drives some to be interested and watch.

I really can't fault Ben or anyone trying to have a fun night and promote their business. I understand some in this community might look down on something like this because reptile keepers are already at a disadvantage when it comes to the general public but so many industries promote in the same way.

Personally, I'm not a fan of these types of competitions. Gorging yourself to you blow. However, I am fan of people knowing that they can eat insects. Not for entertainment value but survival and I have eaten them.

I think people are worried only because of the perception of reptile keepers. If someone in some other industry was giving away a car to promote their business with the same contest, I doubt other members of that person's business community would hold them responsible for the image of everyone in that particular business.

Ben has a business that deals with reptiles. While none of us likes to see bad press within this community it is just his business and I think it is a little much to put the weight of the image of the hobby on his back for this promotion.

I don't know Ben personally and never been to his place but he has been around a very long time. I could be wrong but like most that I know that have had a brick and mortar business he has probably done many types of educational events in store and out.

This was just meant to be a fun entertaining event with some publicity.

In today's world this kind of thing passes for such. I don't fault Ben for that.

I mean just look around you. There is so many important serious things happening around us that we should be getting educated about and promoting responsibility. Instead we are nation with top viewed and rated shows like honey boo boo. It's sad but that is us as a whole.

Unfortunately, These types of events is what people respond to. Frankly though, it is his choice and all those that participated. To each their own. They weren't harming anyone else. One person harmed himself.