FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Supreme court to reconsider sales tax on interstate commerce
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2018, 01:19 AM   #13
WebSlave
I can't help but wonder how the SCOTUS seemingly ignored the issue of jurisdiction for the states? For instance, the state of New York really has no jurisdiction of any persons or businesses in West Virginia whatsoever. Certainly they do over the PEOPLE within their own home state making the purchases, but how is that the responsibility of the company making the sale outside of New York's legal boundaries?

Seems to me this will generate a very robust underground market of basically shadow retailers just acting as fronts with no real traceable store in ANY USA state. Which brings up the next thought I had...

I'm curious how offshore retail sales will be impacted by this? This could prove to be a real boon for China. Heck, I think Ebay has basically been taken over by China lately, and my guess is that China is going to greatly expand their online marketing reach as a result. Does anyone seriously think that China is going to collect state sales tax and send it to every state in the USA? I seriously doubt that. Heck most of the retailers that could be impacted are already selling merchandise manufactured in China, so all they need to to now is to cut out those middlemen.

Seems to me that this is a great opportunity for China to basically put nearly EVERY retail sales business in the USA out of business. Which they have nearly done with USA manufacturing already anyway. Zillions of Chinese companies are already doing direct retail sales through Ebay, so it's going to be only a very small step to expand on that.

I think there are going to be some painful unintended consequences as a result of this decision by the SCOTUS. And it might very well wind up back in their laps in pretty short order. Or else Congress will attempt to neuter it with legislation.

Of course, Trump seems to be for this decision, so no telling how this is going to go if a countering bill reaches his desk, I guess.

But in the interim, my guess is that a lot of online retailers will simply request states to PROVE what they believe they are owed by them. Which means only the largest of fish will be targeted, which will just drive people to the smaller fish still offering sales with no associated state sales tax.

Of course, I'm sure I'm not seeing all the pieces on the board neither, so who knows what is really going on? Besides screwing us, the little people, of course.