FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Help identify another snake (Boca Raton, week of 10/2
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2021, 03:34 AM   #7
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varanexan View Post
...Or its not playing dead and the snake was indeed ill or injured. The OP speculated about it being sick.
Which is exactly why an animal will act like that. So you will think it is sick or dead and leave it alone. I guess the most famous example of that is the eastern hognosed snake. As I said, I have never seen a black racer act in that manner, and I have seen and captured a few in my time. Baby black racers would try to chew your arm off if they could. I have even had black racers really and truly chase me in apparent anger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varanexan View Post
Its a classic black racer juvenile... common sight especially in urbanized Miami-Dade Co.

Here's some I hatched last month for comparison.
I have also hatched out black racers, but never hatched out coachwhips, however found several young ones in the wild over the years. I actually hatched out the black racers pretty much by accident, because I found a clutch of eggs in a rotted log and didn't know what they were from. So I brought them back home and set them up to hatch them out. When the heads popped out of the eggs, the little suckers were snapping at my fingers and actually coming out of the eggs to try to take a piece of me. I shut the container QUICK, and took them out to a field nearby and let them loose as quickly as I could get rid of them. Not a one of them went catatonic or played dead. They were much more interested in getting ME to play dead, it seemed.

But be that as it may, young black racers and young coachwhips will look very similar, and without giving a particular animal a close inspection, I guess we will never know what it really was at this point.