FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Mouse/Rat breeding tips?
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2005, 01:02 PM   #1
DragonCharm
Mouse/Rat breeding tips?

When I started buying snakes I didn't have enough to warrant breeding my own, frozen was more economical at the time. Now that I have more snakes it makes sense to start breeding my own, if not to provide 100% of my need but at least to supplement and cut costs some.

Now I know the fundementals of breeding rodents- male + female = babies. What I am looking for is suggestions on keeping rodents for mass production rather than as pets. How do I cut costs? What are my alternatives to reg mouse/rat food without depriving the snake of certain nutrients? I can buy Sunseed Mouse/Rat Blocks for $1.50 per 2 lb bag locally (employee discount through a friend)......is there something even cheaper that provides the same basic nutrition (maybe something in a 20 lb bag). What are you using for bedding? Anything being used to supplement the mice with the intentions of it being passed onto the snake?

What's everyone's preferred method of euthanizing? CO2?

Any tips for freezing them, especially since we are working with a reg freezer versus a quick freeze solution like Rodentpro and the like would use?

Any help would certainly be appreciated.