FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Machinery stuff?
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2022, 09:02 PM   #20
WebSlave
I guess I should be careful about what I wish for. Seems I will be using the rod I made for putting fertilizer spikes into the ground around the fruit trees as a wall ornament after all. It just didn't do the job I had intended it for.

After the third tree with four holes each, I was plumb worn out! Much more difficult making the holes than I had anticipated. I didn't expect the soil to be that hard, since it is mostly sand around here. I even watered around the trees the day before, thinking it would make it even softer, but no such luck. I was using a deadblow hammer to drive the spike into the ground, and each whack was only giving me about a quarter inch or so more penetration. Damn.... Not only was it taking way too long, but I was about to wear my arms out whacking the spike with that deadblow hammer.

So I finally just admitted defeat and that my invention wasn't going to cut the mustard, and wound up falling back on using a 2 inch auger bit for my cordless drill and making the holes that way. Things went a LOT faster then, otherwise I would still be out there pounding those holes into the ground.

Ah well, best laid plans of mice and men, and all that.....

Now I have to polish it up again, since the soil just wore away that nice shiny finish I had on the pointy end. And make some sort of wall mount for it.

Anyone have any vampires that need killin'?