FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Seeking out toads is hard...
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2020, 08:26 AM   #8
snowgyre
Meaghan, if you wait until spring you can find some toad tadpoles to metamorphose into froglets. You would have to feed pinhead crickets and/or fruit flies until they're big enough to eat larger prey items. It could help with any parasite worries but does require some more work.

I'm generally reluctant to recommend wild caught anything as pets, but American toads are super abundant, super easy to care for, and generally live a long time. I'm not sure I would spend money at the vet office for something like this, but certainly an thorough and honest examination of your husbandry is in order just in case something went wrong on your end. You can also dose any individuals you find with panacur dewormer, there are multiple dart frog websites that will help you with dosage for the size of the toad you find.

A wild caught adult male American toad was my first pet as a child and I have fond memories of the species. While Aaron is technically correct to recommend veterinary visits for wild caught specimens, realistically most vets don't have a clue what they're doing with reptiles, let alone amphibians. Make sure your husbandry is right, use a little bit of dewormer to start with (keep the toad in a smaller quarantine enclosure so worms and parasites aren't excreted into the main enclosure), use quality captive bred feeder insects, don't overfeed, and you should be good to go.