FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - the AMAZING (so called) 16X het
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2005, 02:33 AM   #78
Herpcam
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablohogs
1. What is a morph? a mutation.

2. What is a trait? a charecteristic.

3. What is the difference between the two? a mutation is when a gene mutates from the normal funtion it was designed for while a trait is merely a specific charecteristic.

4. Is Carrot Tail a morph, or a trait? trait.

5. Is Carrot Head a morph or a trait? trait.

6. Is Patternless a morph or a trait? morph.

High Yellow? hyperxanthic is rumored to be linked to a single cell mutation. im not sure though.

Tangerine? a linebred trait where the resulting animal is hypexanthic and hypererythristic in appearance.

Hypo? ray hines hypos: morph (dominant/codominant/incomplete dominant), linebred hypos: linebred trait

Super Hypo? (see hypo)

Stripe? ive heard that people have recessive stripes and reverse stripes and i believe they were aquired from ron trempers stock. the lines i work with are polygenic selectively bred traits. i believe, from the result of breeding abberant offspring.

Jungle? abberent patterned. polygenic trait.

Line Bred Snow? selectively bred to appear anerythristic and axanthic.

Mack Snow? incomplete dominant morph. single locus mutation.

Pastel? im guessing possibly dominant. not sure on this one but im working on understanding it better.

Rainbow? pastel and stripe i believe.

Tremper Albino? single locus mutation. recessive morph.

Rainwater Albino? single locus mutation. recessive morph.

Bell Albino? single locus mutation. recessive morph.

Leshock Albino (if it was a separate gene)? i thought this was proven to be trempers line. single locus mutation. recessive morph.

Circle Back? abberent patterned. polygenic.

Jungle? you already said jungle.

Ghost? dominant or codominant/incomplete dominant.

Blizzard? single locus mutation. recessive morph.

Red Stripe? good question. im gonna say linebred.

Giant? first it was recessive, then it was codominant. cant say for sure but it definately isnt recessive.

That's good, Chad. I appreciate the time you put into this. I know I probably wouldn't have gone through the trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dictionary.com
Morph - morph2 Audio pronunciation of "morph" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (môrf)
n.
One of various distinct forms of an organism or species.
[From Greek morph, form, shape.]
Dictionary.com Definition of Morph

Is your definition, morph=mutation, the same as everyone's definition? Is that RT's definition of morph, vs. trait?

How about Gekkonida.com's leopard gecko MORPH page

And Steve Syke's Leopard Gecko Genetics page. Apparently he disagrees with your definition for some of the 'morphs' as well.

See, what you call a trait, is possibly what RT (and others apparently), call a morph, and vice versa.

Quote:
who cares weather or not it is fairly priced. it was 500 dollars! think of what other animal that person could have bought. furthermore would that animal have sold if it wasnt a 16X het? how well is the high yellow jungle giant market doing anyway?
This what I was referring to in the car reference. That someone would spend 100K+ for a car when they could buy a house in some places in our country or a couple other cars. The manufacturer's believe the lamborghini's and ferrari's are better cars (as some people do). Ie. Ferrari vs. Ford and 16-morph-gene-carrying-gecko vs. whatever Chad deems better. Who puts the value on the gecko, and who are you to challenge that? I will admit, I used to really care what people sold their geckos for, but I got over it. I hate to see someone get ripped off, but it happens, life goes on. I know that this 16 gene-carrying gecko wasn't as much of a rip off as I've seen before. (please don't get me wrong, if I were worth millions, I'd probably check out a ferrari, also, but to some people, that's insane).

Quote:
i would suggest that you dont buy any morphs that arent proven out. some people out there want to call every little detail of thier animal a morph without any proof that it is a inheritable trait.
So, to be a morph, it has to be inheritable? Why then isn't a Carrottail a morph? Or a jungle? Jungle's are related to Stripes, and I'll go out on a limb and say that they're quite genetic...perhaps not simple recessive, but it's in their genes. RT does believe his jungles are recessive mutations. Have you had these traits/morphs/mutations tested to confirm they're controlled by a single locus? (once again, I'm a genetic idjit, don't beat me up for my choice of words). You admit yourself that you're not positive on some of them.

The fact remains, he never sait it was a 16x het for anything, just a multi-het that carries genes for 16 morphs, which we've established above means different things to different people.

Chad, and everyone else - I don't think he's a god, and I don't agree with everything he does (especially not his incubation methods), but let's stop singling people out and trying to nuke them for such a simple little thing. He's not selling a leopard gecko skeleton that's 20g 'Ready to Breed', and he's not selling a Super Hypo Tangerine Carrot Tail Baldy that looks like a 5 gram normal...let this one go. I still can't wait to hear his explanation of the 16 morphs.