FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Timmy the tortoise dies aged 160
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2004, 04:22 AM   #4
Glenn Bartley
Clay,

The thing I wonder about is that this was a royal pet so to speak. If it had ailed, or died, it may have been replaced with one that looked very similar, to please the royalty. Sort of like doing the switch-a-roo on a kid who loses his/her favorite pet, and this tortoise was probably a curiosity and not much more, that would be seen roaming about in the yard from afar and sometimes fed a strawberry up close (are castle grounds considered yards?). But who knows! Many tortoises are rather long lived, but I still wonder - especially in light of the recent long lived parrot story that was out and about from the other side of the pond.

Amazing though to think that one of these tortoises might easily live through 3 generations of your family. Talk about long term are commitments.....Get this when it is 10 years old and when you are 10, and you pass it one when you pass at 80. It is now 80 years old. It is also now left to another 1o year old child who then passes it on when he passes at 80. It is now 150 years old. It the would have another 10 years to live with the next person to whom it was left to make 160. Wow!

I have a musk turtle that is about 8 years old or so. I understand they can live to 40 or 50 years old. I thought that was a long term commitment, but a tortoise with a life span like this would be amazing. Guess what, I have been contemplating buying a Herman's or a Greek. The Greeks are the Mediterranean Spur Thighed, if I am correct. I may have to reconsider. Then again, maybe I can implant a healthy regard for tortoises in y son, and someday in my grandchildren, who knows. My son is ready, I do know that.

Well, whatever, this was a nice happy tortoise story. I loved it. Kind of makes me all warmed by the sun and scaly all over. I don't know where you find em, but keep posting em.

All the best,
Glenn B