FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Timmy the tortoise dies aged 160
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2004, 09:02 AM   #5
herpcondo
The intresting thing to me is...:

The intresting thing to me is kinda funny, and sad at the same time,,,
Everything i have read about ships and sea travels back then state they raided every island they came across for the turtles and tortoises for food,, When there was no refrigeration, and even salted meat would spoil to some degree, they took tortoises, and placed them on the ships in the thousands,, they were added ballast until they were eaten,, and they provided the men with fresh meat. The tortoises could be fed very small amounts of food, and could be kept "stacked" until they were needed for food. They also provided quite a but of meat for there size. They claim that is one of the main reasons for the low numbers of golop tortoises as it was near a major trade route, and easy picking for the sailors, and the pirates,,
So i guess my question is really simple,, on a ship full of hungry sailors,, how did the tortoise just not "disappear" and end up in the bellies of some of the crew..? I mean if you have ever read about the sailers of that time,, even in the british navy they were very very underfed, and always hungry,,, I guess the tortoise shoudl be glad it was under the care of "royalty"...

I would like to believe the story is true,, As it makes for a great story, and what a great way for the tortoise to live its life to the fullest...