FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Minor birth defect: eye
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2006, 09:52 PM   #1
acpart
Minor birth defect: eye

I hatched out a baby this morning with one slightly protruding eye. The other eye looks normal and the eye seems to be protruding at the bottom. She does have eyelids and seems to be able to close both eyes. She isn't licking her eyes and so far is doing all the things I would expect from a 12 hour old hatchling. I know a picture would be helpful and I hope to post one within the week, but can't get to it right now. I did read some of the other posts about eye defects. My plan at the moment is to proceed as usual. If I feel that she is in pain or can't close her eye I'll have her euthanized. Otherwise I would give her away (as opposed to selling her) to someone who understands that they can't breed her. Does this make sense? I know in many other cases that have been reported on the forum there's a question about temperature fluctuations. I am using a hovobator, the same one I used last season under the same conditions. I hatched 13 babies last season and 7 other babies so far this season with no defects so I'm assuming that this is just an unlucky hatchling. Any thoughts or ideas would be welcome.