FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Voting ballot form
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2020, 11:16 PM   #6
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
I agree. I anticipate, because of the large Hispanic population, that changes will be made in the future to laws that address language requirements, perhaps taking the citizenship test in Spanish. And if the Hispanic constituency becomes as large as is currently anticipated, there may be statutory requirements for certain jobs such as teachers, doctors and police to demonstrate bilingual abilities.
Personally, I would rather not see that. I would like this to be a UNIFIED country in all things, as much as humanly possible. Of course, these days, that seems to be a futile hope, but hope it still is. Making wider gulfs with legally enforceable differences is not the road to take for that goal to be even remotely obtainable. Quite frankly, if I intended to move to Italy, I would expect to have to become an Italian, which would mean leaning to read, write, speak, and understand the language of the land. Otherwise, might as well just stay home.

If someone wants to come and live in America, then they should expect to become an American. Which naturally includes learning English. Otherwise, well, you just can't have your cake and eat it too. If someone wants to remain a foreigner, then heck, why not just stay where you are obviously more comfortable with the customs and language? Yeah, I know, perhaps they can live in a place with 300, 3,000, 30,000 other people who have chosen to not adapt and melt into the melting pot. But all of the other people doing the same wrong thing (in my opinion), doesn't make it any more right for a single person doing wrong.

We can't bring this country together if everyone is fighting to be separate. Seems to be a VERY obvious lesson to take to heart.