FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Voting ballot form
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2020, 05:51 PM   #9
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
There are a multitude of culture/nationalities here, but food, entertainment, art, and so on create a distinctly American culture. I do not think a bilingual language mandate will change that.

The very differences among us help make America the richly diverse country it is. Many families celebrate their own foods, their own culture, and many groups of people have differing religions as well. Demanding homogeneity would destroy what America stands for.

However, you are certainly welcome to your opinion. I would think you would naturally demand that the American national language be changed to Spanish should present trends continue and the large Hispanic families outstrip the falling birth rate of the Anglos, and the Hispanic demographic become the majority here.
I don't have a problem with America changing because of the demographics taking place demanding such a thing. As long as the change was being prompted because of population changes made by legal citizens and there is legal Constitutional precedent and federal jurisdiction for such a thing to take place. To have changes effected because of the influence of illegal immigration, in my opinion is ill conceived and suicidal as a nation. I doubt anyone can convince me of any logic that would support illegal immigrants (most of which quite likely have made no effort, nor have any intent, to become legitimate Americans) becoming influential in any way with how I will have to live my life.

Is it really a legitimate election if a large number of possibly illegal immigrants, who need to have the ballot printed in their language because they don't understand the de facto native language of the United States of America, might tilt the election one way or the other? In my opinion, no. And quite honestly, I just cannot think of any logic based reasoning anyone could use to argue that it should be.

Could legal Mexican immigrants become a voting block large enough to force a referendum on the nationally recognized language of the USA? Sure, I suppose so. But I have to ask, why would people who decided to come to the USA to escape from whatever it was in their home country, and living here to take advantage of whatever attracted them here and make the choice to come here in the first place, want to do such a thing?

I would hope people making the effort of becoming Americans would be just as proud of that goal as people born as Americans should be to BE Americans, and want to keep it that way. If not, well, why not? What was the point of coming here? If someone coming from Mexico wants to be Mexican instead of American, well, they HAD that before they came here. They are welcome here as Americans, but don't try to convert us Americans to Mexicans, please. If we wanted that, we would just move to YOUR country.