FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Please help with possibly gravid ackie!
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2007, 09:59 PM   #1
Valley Dragons
Please help with possibly gravid ackie!

Hi. I am breeding my yellow ackie monitors for the first time this year. I have not found loads of info on the subject, so I am feeling a little unsure of myself. I have witnessed mating several times about a month ago. Over the last 2 weeks the female has begun the appear quite round. I cannot feel individual eggs in her belly like I can with my dragons, so I am unsure if she is gravid or if she has just gotten really fat. The last 3 days her appetite (which is usually revenous) has completely gone away. I moved her to a seperate lay-box, which is filled with a moist sand/dirt mixture, and it is about 12" deep. One side has a basking temp of about 130*F, and the cooler end is about 85*F. She seems completely uninterested in digging, refuses to eat, and just lays around. She looks like she is going to pop. I am starting to worry. Can an ackie become egg-bound? Is there anything I need to do differently in the lay-box to encourage digging and laying? Both of my ackies tunneled in the old enclosure that they shared. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Also - what temperature should I incubate the eggs at?

Jamie