FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Camera recommendation?
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2014, 09:39 PM   #7
NocturnalNature
As already mentioned, most DSLR bodies on the market will outperform all the needs an amateur photographer might have. A very good way to get a great deal on a used camera is to visit one of the reputable Canon/Nikon forums and search the classifieds. Many photographers will upgrade each time a newer model comes out which means there are typically a large number of lightly used, great condition, bodies available.
To reiterate what another poster said, spend your money on quality lenses if you want to truly take your photography to the next level. If your finances allow, try to stick with prime lenses instead of zoom lenses since they usually offer better image quality. My main lens is a 100mm Macro which allows for a very wide range of use. It cover 95% of my needs in regards to field herping, photos for ads, and general portraits.
Myself, I like the layout and operations of the Canon D series. Great track record, readily available in the used market, wide range of lenses for every budget, and a huge aftermarket for accessories.
If you find yourself perusing the classifieds, keep an eye out for the 40D or 50D. Both great units that can usually be had for a very fair price.
Good luck and enjoy the journey!